The correct diet is key to bodybuilding. Without the right amount of fuel your muscles won’t develop and you won’t be able to achieve the high bar you have set yourself. In this post we look at the diet of three athletes who are the best at their chosen sports. We hope they inspire you to take your diet as seriously as you take your workout.
Bodybuilding, fitness, and sporting excellence all depend on one thing: discipline. In order to be the best, your discipline has to extend far beyond the gym or the training ground. In an interview with Boston.com, Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen’s chef, Allen Campbell, showed how much discipline goes into the quarterback’s diet.
“80% of what they eat is vegetables. [I buy] the freshest vegetables. If it is not organic, I don’t use it. And whole grains: brown rice, quinoa, millet beans. The other 20% is lean meats: grass-fed organic steak, duck now and then, and chicken. As for fish, I mostly cook wild salmon.
The average Joe would probably ditch the diet in less than a month. But if you’re going to be the best you can be you have to aim for the same level of discipline that Tom Brady has.
Calculating how much the body needs is vital to ensuring success and muscle growth. Michael Phelps’ diet is not for the faint hearted. The Washington Post reported on his preparation for Beijing 2008, stating that Phelps was eating up to 12,000 calories a day. Just think how much exercise Phelps was doing for his body to require that much fuel.
While we don’t suggest you start consuming 4,000 calories at every meal it does show the dedication needed to achieve perfection. To be a step above the rest you need to find the exact amount of calories to optimize your training. This can be achieved by using a macro-calculator to measure your daily intake. The amount of effort put in to finding a one-rep max should be applied to finding the right amount of food your body needs.
The best soccer player in the world is Lionel Messi. The Argentinian can bend soccer matches to his will with his quick movements and footballing talents. His reputation as a master of the game is so widely recognized that soccer experts Betfair included him in their article on the world’s ‘Football Greats’. In the post, they state he is the only modern day player who can be compared to the likes of Pele and Diego Maradona.
Messi’s diet is one of perfectly timed preparation. Like a bodybuilder preparing for competition, Messi tailors his diet plan for the upcoming soccer matches. Men’s Health detailed his plan from seven days to 90 minutes before a game. One technique that Messi uses is depleting his carb intake at the beginning of the week and slowly increasing it over the seven days. Matt Lovell who works with international soccer players explains, “that ‘supercompensation method’ can increase your maximal amount of stored glycogen by up to 50%.”